Tart and Juicy Ruby Red Grapefruit Pie
- 1 pre-baked 9″ pie shell (23cm)
- 5-6 fresh ruby red grapefruit, enough for 5 cups of fruit (about 3lbs or 1.5 kg)
- 1 cup fresh strawberries (160gr)
- 1 cup water (240 ml)
- 3 tbsp. cornstarch, sifted (21gr)
- 3/4 cup sugar (150gr)
- whipped cream
- Section grapefruit, removing membrane and leaving slices whole or in large pieces. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine water and strawberries. Bring to a boil, crushing strawberries. Boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Sieve mixture, reserving the liquid and pressing the pulp through the strainer. Discard remaining pulp.
- In same saucepan, return berry juice, adding the cornstarch and the sugar. Stir continuously, until clear and thick.
- Spread a large spoonful of the gel in the pie shell. With a slotted spoon, carefully place a third of the grapefruit sections in the prepared pie crust (do not add any collected juice). Spread another large spoonful of gel on top, and continue layering fruit and gel, ending with a layer of the gel on top.
- Chill for about three hours before serving. Serve with whipped cream.