A Signature Regional Dessert
One of the glories of our Rio Grande Valley autumns is the harvest of the Ruby Red grapefruit. They are what every little grapefruit should aspire to be. Sweet, juicy and deep red on the inside, blushing like a peach on the outside. Use them for your pie if you can find them.
Learning how to section a grapefruit is vital for the success of this recipe. Simply slice off the top and bottom of the fruit, so it is flat on both ends. Then, carefully cut away the remaining peel by slicing from top to bottom. Slice away any of the white pith. Once the thick peel is removed, cut the section away from each membrane wall. Keep practicing, and you will be able to whip up a grapefruit pie in no time!
More Short Cuts, More Pie!
And don’t be afraid to substitute a store bought pie shell, instead of pre-baking one at home. The filling is what people notice about this pie. However, do take the extra step of making the homemade strawberry glaze. You’ll find yourself licking the spoon, the saucepan and any spare drips, as it is so good!Print
Tart and Juicy Ruby Red Grapefruit Pie
- 1 pre-baked 9″ pie shell (23cm)
- 5-6 fresh ruby red grapefruit, enough for 5 cups of fruit (about 3lbs or 1.5 kg)
- 1 cup fresh strawberries (160gr)
- 1 cup water (240 ml)
- 3 tbsp. cornstarch, sifted (21gr)
- 3/4 cup sugar (150gr)
- whipped cream
- Section grapefruit, removing membrane and leaving slices whole or in large pieces. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine water and strawberries. Bring to a boil, crushing strawberries. Boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Sieve mixture, reserving the liquid and pressing the pulp through the strainer. Discard remaining pulp.
- In same saucepan, return berry juice, adding the cornstarch and the sugar. Stir continuously, until clear and thick.
- Spread a large spoonful of the gel in the pie shell. With a slotted spoon, carefully place a third of the grapefruit sections in the prepared pie crust (do not add any collected juice). Spread another large spoonful of gel on top, and continue layering fruit and gel, ending with a layer of the gel on top.
- Chill for about three hours before serving. Serve with whipped cream.