Arroz con Pollo (Traditional Chicken with Rice)
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4 generously
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cups water (720ml)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil or chicken fat if available (30ml)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 lbs. chicken pieces, cut into portions (1.5kg)
- 1 ½ cups uncooked white rice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Make a quick tomato broth by pureeing the tomatoes, water and garlic with a conventional or immersion blender. Set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large covered 3qt (3lt) Dutch oven or sauté pan. Add the onions, and sauté for about a minute. Add the chicken pieces, skin side down, and brown over medium heat until very well browned, about 7 minutes. Turn the chicken over, and brown for another 3-4 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan, and hold in a separate plate while you prepare the rice. Leave the caramelized onions in the pan.
- Add the uncooked rice to the hot pan with onions. Stir and toast the rice until it turns opaque, about 2 minutes. Carefully add the tomato broth, which will steam quickly. Return the chicken pieces to the pan, and season with salt and pepper. Cover, and adjust to a medium low heat. Simmer for 25 minutes, without removing the lid. All of the liquid should be absorbed. If not, cover and cook for 5 more minutes.